Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The 1541 will of John Onge of Thelnetham



I recently read a challenge on another genealogical blog suggesting that family historians adopt a New Year's resolution of sharing information on one ancestor each week in 2018.  So one would need to post on 52 ancestors in 52 weeks.  Since I share something less than once a month on this blog, that requires a real step-up in activity.  I am not sure how realistic that is, but here goes!

Recently Ong Family History's distinguished London correspondent, Les Ong, shared a transcript of the will of John Onge of Thelnetham, Suffolk, dating from 1541.  What makes this person particularly interesting is that in the list of his minor age children there is both a John and an Edmund Onge, therefore making this John Onge a possible common ancestor of the families of John Onge of Hartest (d. 1609) and Edmund Onge of Lavenham (d. 1573) both of whom had descendants who emigrated to New England (and in some cases returned to England) in the 1630's, which of itself suggests a close relationship.  There is also a George, who could be the George Onge of Hinderclay (d. 1612), and these three 16th/17th century Onge family groups together appear to us to be possibly the forebears of most (or all?) of the known living Ongs of English ancestry.  This is still a theory, but it's an interesting working one for now!

Thelnetham is a small village and parish to the south of the River Ouse, which is also the Norfolk/Suffolk border, and is just a few miles ENE of Barningham, the village of the very earliest Onge records (1280's), and also the residence of this John Onge's "brother", who is also (mysteriously) named John Onge, according to the will.  Perhaps "brother" means something broader than we commonly understand it.


At the time of the writing of this will, the 50-year old King Henry VIII had been on the throne of England and Ireland for 32 years, and was in his fifth, brief marriage to the then 18-year old Queen Catherine (Howard), who was stripped of the title of Queen in November 1541 and subsequently executed in early 1542 for treason by committing adultery.

The original of this will is located at the Suffolk Records Office.  The original manuscript image is not permitted to be reproduced, but the transcript is in the public domain, and is as follows:


John ONGE, Thelnetham, Suffolk.
Will made   26 Jun 1541.
Will proven 18 Jul 1541.
Archdeaconry of Sudbury.

In the name of God Amen the 26th day of June in the year of our Lord God 1541 I John ONGE of Thelnetham whole of mind and of good memory being all my testaments before this day had or made I now utterly revoke and make this my present testament and last will in manner and form following.

First I bequeath my soul to God almighty to our lady Saint Mary and to all the holy company of heaven and my body to be buried in the churchyard of Saint Nicholas in Thelnetham.

Item. I bequeath to the high altar within the church aforesaid for my tithes forgotten or negligently paid 12d.

Item. I bequeath to the church of Saint Nicholas in Thelnetham 20d.

Item. I bequeath to Maryon my wife 20 marks of lawful money of England under this condition that the said Maryon release her dowry and give a lawful estate of all the lands that she is infeoffed in unto my executors when so ever they shall receive it off her. And if it so be that the said Maryon my wife will not give estate of the lands abovesaid according to this my last will but make claim of or challenge to them or any parcel of them by cause of her dowry either in the house or in the lands then I will that all such gifts and bequests as I have given and bequeathed unto her by this my present will be none void and of no effect as well of the 20 marks as of the other legacies bequeathed unto her.

Item. I will that Maryon my wife have the occupying of my house and lands in Thelnetham for the term of 10 years under this condition that the said Maryon bring up my children honestly therewith and repair the house sufficiently during the said term and pay the rent and if so be that the said Maryon do not lawfully bring up my children then I will that mine executors in like manner and form as she should have done take the said house and lands and bring them up with all except 5 acres and a rood of land the which I will that they be sold by the hand of my executors for to pay their charges with all whereof one acre and a half lying at at Bromstoke herne one acre and a half in Langland fold half an acre at Ornche 3 roods in Feltham crofts and an acre lying in Dotrells by Sterlynge.

Item. I will that Robert my eldest son have my house and my lands in Thelnetham at the age of 21 years except those that I willed to be sold and that under this condition that the said Robert shall pay or cause to be paid to John Edmund George and Thomas my sons to every of them 10 marks of lawful money of England in 3 years by equal portions when that they shall come to the age of 21 years and if so be that any of them happen to decease before the said age of 21 years then I will that the part or parts of him or them so deceased be equally divided among them that shall be alive.

Item. I bequeath to Alys my sister of Thetford 3s 4d.

Item. I give to Robert John and Edmund my sons to every of them a cow and they to be delivered at Michaelmas next coming.

Item. I give to George my son a cow and my wife to have the occupying thereof 2 years and then to be delivered to the said George my son.

Item. I bequeath to Thomas my son a cow and his mother to have the occupying of the said cow 6 years and then to be delivered unto the said Thomas.

Item. I give to Maryon my wife a horse a cow and a bed complete with a part of the stuff.

Item. I bequeath to every of my sons one sheep and a pewter platter.

Item. I bequeath to Robert my son my best brass pot and my best coat.

Item. I give to Maryon my wife all my linen and woollen that is unbequested.

Item. I will that John ONGE of Barnyngham my brother have 8 acres of free land lying in Barnyngham paying therefore 20 marks of lawful money of England whereof I will that he pay £10 to the executors of Robert CALDWELL of Hopton in discharging mine obligations wherein he is bound for me and the residue of the 20 marks for to help bear the charges of this my present testament.

Item. I will that Maryon my wife receive the 20 marks bequeathed unto her after this manner of form that is to say 26s 8d at the feast of Michael the Archangel next after the payment of the last obligation that I am bounden to Robert CALDWELL abovesaid and so forth every year at the said feast 26s 8d till the said sum of 20 marks be fully content and paid.

Item. I require all my cofeoffers that are infeoffed in any of my lands for to give estate of my lands when so ever they shall be lawfully required by mine executors to the performance of this my present testament.

The residue of all my goods not above bequeathed nor assigned I put wholly to the disposition of my executors whom I ordain and make John ONGE of Barnyngham my brother and John BARNHAM of Thelnetham my lawful executors for to do and furthermore to dispose as it shall seem most expedient for the health of my soul.

These witness

Thomas ALBYN
John BARKER
Wyllm GENT


with other.

Probate granted 18th July 1541.




St. Nicholas Church, Thelnetham, final resting place of John Onge, d. 1541

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this generous genealogical offering.

    I am an Australian with Onge family ancestors who came from Ireland (Dublin, with land in Wexford): Abel Onge. He named his sons Abel and John. His daughter, Emily, married George Phillips of Staffordshire UK. She is my ancestor who, as a widow, migrated to the Colony of NSW and settled in Parramatta with her many children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear cousin,

    I believe the Irish and Australian Onges are all descended from the first (of many) Abel Onge, b. 11 Jan 1667 in Little Wigborough, Essex (and d. 1729 in Dublin), the second son of John Onge (b 1636, MA Cantab 1658) and Susanna Abel (m. John in Fordham Heath, Essex 16 June 1662). John Onge's father, the Rev Francis Onge (b 1605 Hartest, Suffolk, BA Cantab 1637), in fact emigrated with his family to Massachusetts in 1630/1 together with the family of Francis' recently-widowed cousin-in-law, Frances (Read) Onge, who is the progenitrix of the American Ongs. But Francis and family (John's older brother Edmund was born in Mass. in 1632) returned to England soon after and he completed his studies at Cambridge, and then became an (likely Puritan-ish) Anglican priest in Essex. Anyway, the original Abel Onge moved to Ireland, presumably in early adulthood (I don't have a death record for his father John, so it's conceivable that this family emigrated when Abel was a minor and that the first Abel had siblings in Ireland), and this branch of the family prospered to the extent that I am certain they were the wealthiest part of the Ong/e family anywhere in the world in the 18th century, complete with the family seat/estate in Hayestown. This is not a surprise given that this was the first branch with multiple generations with higher education degrees and also able to rise in a class sense more easily in Ireland given the effect of the Protestant Ascendancy. I hope to write more about this branch of the family in the future!

    ReplyDelete